You might not realize it but the most important aspect about being on a spiritual journey is the self-discovery. Our spiritual journey is more about our personal growth than about finding the secrets of God. This journey could be a very long process, one that is filled with happiness and dissatisfaction followed by discovery and more confusion.
You may discover the right religion for you or you may discover that no religion is right for you. I have studied different types of religions to conclude that I am follower of no particular religion, but I am highly spiritual.
I believe that our lives have a purpose and that there is a powerful force that we cannot see but sometimes feel.
For some, your spiritual journey will be a life long process, like me. For others, it will be very short. No matter how long it takes, there are basic principles that will aid you to get the most out of your spiritual journey.
- Religion should not be about fear and control. Your spiritual beliefs are personal and unique. Never force yourself to join a religion out of fear of going to hell after you die because you do not believe in something or someone. Make sure whatever you believe is based on love and something you feel connected to.
- Be more appreciative – Appreciate the simple things. Appreciate your ability to breathe, walk, talk, and smile. Appreciate your partner, kids, friends, and family. By being more appreciated, you will start to feel more fortunate. You will realize the numerous blessings you have which will make you grow closer to the force that provided all of the great things in your life.
- Stop blaming God. Life may not go how you plan, but it is still a marvelous journey. People think religion should solve all of their problems. When they find their problems are not being solved the way they expect, then they lose faith or switch religions. Don’t expect your problems be solved. Seek to develop a relationship with your higher power, not for it to do everything for you. Your problems could be there for a reason, to teach and develop you.
- Be proactive and stop waiting for a sign. If want to do something that you always wanted to do, then get started and stop waiting for a sign from a higher power. You are alive and that gives you the opportunity to accomplish anything you want to accomplish. Don’t expect God to do everything. View your relationship with God as a partnership, not someone who is there for your every command.
- Don’t feel the need or pressure to follow rules and traditions – Your spirituality is not about doing certain things at certain times. Attending church, praying daily, and performing rituals are fine but spirituality is not about feeling the pressure to do any of those things. You should do something because you want to do.
- Accept what is – love what is. Love this moment. Appreciate the way things are. Life is not fair, but that does not mean it is not rewarding.
- Remove your image of God – I grew up thinking that God was a big man with a beard. I now think of him as a bright light. Don’t get hung on an image of God. You don’t need one. Learn to trust in the feeling, the connection, and not the person.
- Stop trying to categorize yourself into a specific religion – Free yourself from the need to belong to a particular religion. Religion, to me, is another method we created to categorize ourselves. It means nothing.
- Respect all beliefs – It’s okay to have different beliefs. Don’t think you are right and anyone else who doesn’t believe what you believe is wrong. Be more accepting. If, at the end of the day you conclude that God does not exist, then that is okay, but don’t ridicule other people for believing in a God.
- Be open to multiple possibilities –There are millions of things we have yet to discover. Even the bible doesn’t reveal everything there is to know about its higher power. Be open to the idea that there is so much more we do not know.
- Continue to evolve – Accept that you don’t know all of the answers and be open to change. Don’t stick to what you currently know. Be okay with completely changing your beliefs. As you go through life, you will go through many different types of experiences that will continuously change you – all part of your personal evolution.
As you grow into your spirituality, you will learn new, exciting things. Embrace the journey. Be open and accepting to whatever you receive.
- Religion – Just Be Open (freespiritsunited.com)